Tips to Make your Home Fitness Routine More Effective
Home is one of the few places where you can be at absolute ease and feel truly comfortable. Some studies even point out that exercising at home has worked wonders for some people, especially who feel performance anxiety in a public setting. Regardless of your fears or apprehensions, working out at home can be incredibly helpful for all kinds of people. You don’t even need to invest any money to start home fitness routine. Just find your equipment at home in water jugs and staircase for step exercises and you can get started.
If you are on a path to become more fit and adapt to a healthy lifestyle, then you need to start now. Setting up a home gym and following a fitness routine will give you incredible results. In this article we will tell you exactly how you can achieve that objective and that too from the comforts of your home.
- Start with body weight exercises
Many people feel discouraged to start working out at home because they don’t want to invest heavily in all the exercising equipment. However, it is important for you to know that all that you need to become fit is within yourself. Bodyweight training has become popular because it makes the use of equipment and machines redundant. You can start with exercises such as planks, dips, pull-ups, push-ups, squats etc. These functional trainings work major muscle groups and give you the strength you need to feel fit. In fact, this form of exercise is perhaps just as effective as weight training at the gym.
- Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption, aka EPOC: Did you know that when you train at a certain high-intensity, up to 75% of your VO2 for at least 30-minutes, your body will require more oxygen and calories to return to its natural resting state. So if you want to continue burning calories long after your workout, then you need to learn more about EPOC training. Be sure to take help from a professional to guide you through the right process.
- Simplicity is the key: home gym is all about convenience and consistency. You don’t need anything complex that you cannot do on your own. The best way to make your workouts effective and consistent is to keep it simple. No other way will make the cut. In fact, a simple workout when performed at a certain intensity can actually be more effective that wrongly performed complex workout. The simpler it is, the more easily you will be able to follow it and keep up with it.
- Focus on short bursts of high intensity exercise
There have been plenty of studies that prove how short burst of high intensity exercises are far more effective in achieving your fitness goals as compared to an hour spent in the gym. With time being a constraint with most people, it is a good to know that you can exercise anywhere and anytime for just a couple of minutes and get the same results, or even better results. You can save a lot of time by doing short bout of exercises and still achieve phenomenal outcomes. The point is, exercising in the gym for 1 hour or doing it at home for 10-15 minutes will get you similar, if not better, results.
- Break the monotony: one of the biggest reasons why people are unable to follow a routine of exercises is due to lack of motivation and monotony that comes repeating the same exercises everyday. However, workout can be fun and interesting and a lot more than just running full power for 30 minutes. You can think of interesting ways to work up your sweat at home and that too without compromising on the quality of your workout. One day you can run in the park; other days you can just take a nature walk in your area. You can also bike in the neighbourhood, jump rope at home, do bodyweight training in front of your TV, try yoga and many other form of exercises to make your workout versatile. When it is fun, it is likely to remain consistent.
- Make walking a habit: Walking is one of the easiest and the most effective form of exercises. You can start with walking briskly just to break the habit of being on the couch all the time. Walking will help a sedentary individual to build their exercising capacity and become more physically active. In fact, if you are an absolute beginner with no experience in training whatsoever, then walking is the best and safest way for you to induct yourself into the world of exercising.
- Always be persistent: Persistence has often been underrated when we talk about importance of daily workout. Unless you do what you are doing everyday consistently, you will not be able to see the results that you are hoping to see. It doesn’t matter if you are working out for 10-minutes or 1-hour. The idea is to do it everyday, especially the days you don’t want to. Make sure you are active everyday and stick to your routine, no matter what.
- Stick to the basics: being fit is very simple. You do not have to complicate this by introducing complications that come with using equipment. Your body is the best equipment you have and apart from that, the most you are going to need is a mat, a towel and/or dumbbells. When you perform your workout in a circuit, you will not only burn calories but also build muscles. Circuit training has proven to be a highly effective method to activate EPOC that burns calories even when your body is resting.
- Strength training: No matter where you work out, be it your home or a park, never forget to strength train. This form of exercising builds muscles, cardiovascular health, burns calories and especially bone strength.
Most people worry that when they workout at home, they are less answerable and thus more likely to skip the workout. While this is a genuine concern, you need to have at least 2-3 options handy to see what works best for you. Try to involve your friends or partners in your workout routine so that you are accountable to them. You can also post your results or workout plans on social media so that you are more committed to the routine.